Thursday, January 15, 2015

It is all about the light

In current work I am using landscapes in my studio as a place to hang light.  A long time (and ongoing) tradition in painting.  It is all about the light!  I am thinking through drawings, photos, paintings and videos about light.  I am looking for that sweet spot where the image of something is second seat to the light the describes it.


Graphite(both sides) and gouache on transparent Polypropylene, 12 x 9"


I recently watched the movie Mr. Turner and was captivated by the scene where he is strapped to a mast of a ship as it presses through a storm.  He was looking with all of his body.  How do we look at light with all of the body?  In an interview, January 14th, 2015 -Olafur Eliasson on Turning Light into Color, talks about his Turner Color Experiments.  These things come together at a good time for me.  As a maker of images it is a worthwhile practice to spend a lot of time looking, experimenting and coming back to light.  Images move into our bodies with light.


still from a video, "Light Through Trees"






Photo through rainy car window

No comments:

Post a Comment